Monday, February 16, 2009

House Hunters

I am just starting to get it. You miss me. You wonder what has happened to us. You don't care whether I finish blogging about Hawaii. Well I am gonna do it. You just wait and see. You are going to read the last of our adventures. HOWEVER, since you continue to be so good to me, I am going to interrupt the Farmers Say Aloha to Hawaii story and entertain you with some "House Hunters." The number one request these days is for pictures of our new home. Well, I am not gonna give them up until we play a little HGTV game.

You have seen the show, haven't you? Here are the top three homes that we considered, and we DID buy one. I am sitting inside one of these very homes right now. Now, if you are family or know which house I bought (which I don't think anyone besides family knows, but my memory may be clouded by moving boxes right now), DO NOT SQUASH THE FUN AND TELL PEOPLE WHICH HOME WE BOUGHT. Didn't I tell you I have a competitive spirit when it comes to fun and games? Now I am not going to add any doorbell sounds to this post and I am going to skip the whole Susan Whang hostess deal, because really people, I have boxes calling me before the kids wake up.

You must know that I never went inside any of these actual homes before we wrote a purchase contract. We had seen many similar to these when we were in California in June and July. We were not ready to buy until late in 2008, after we sold our home in Hawaii. Hubs made a few trips to California without me, and took a gazillion photos of each home, and emailed them to me. My mom said I was brave to have him buy a home without me standing in it. She was in Hawaii with me when Hubs was in California. My dad went with Hubs to look at some of these. My mom cracked me up because she said she could not let my dad choose a house without her. But this is not the first time Hubs and I have bought a home where he wrote a contract without me. I had faith he could do it again!

All three of these homes were bank owned foreclosures. All needed minor work.









Home #1
This home is located in a culdesac. It has only one neighbor to the right, and a very large lot size. A pool was started in the back yard. It has a tandem three car garage, and two full bathrooms and bedrooms downstairs. The previous owners did not finish the work to the home, and a lot of stone is stacked in crates in the back yard. The floor plan is very open, with many windows. This home was already in escrow when we looked at it. Many, many people wanted this house because it was priced really well for the lot size and number of square feet.

Home #2
This home has a very open and beautifully flowing floor plan. The back yard is large, and perfectly flat, and perfectly ready for a pool. My favorite feature of this home is a side courtyard from the interior of the home. One thing I told Hubs was that if we were moving to California I wanted a home with a courtyard. The home is well priced, but it is at the very top of our price range.
Home #3
This home is priced the best value for the dollar, square feet, and lot size. It has tropical landscaping, and views to the mountains. It sits on a wide and quiet street. It is upgraded throughout, and located in an area with no Mella Roos, unlike the other homes. Mella roos is a special tax in California. It is paid above and beyond property tax, and assessed for 20 years on new homes to build community parks, schools, and infrastructures. This is a very big deal in California! It is the second house from a stop sign, which could mean through traffic. A gorgeous stone wall surrounds the home on all sides, with custom lighting on the perimeter. There are trikes at the house next door. Maybe nice children live next door.

So you choose! Which house do you think the Farmers purchased?

22 comments:

  1. ohhh I don't know! I know about the mella roos and I wouldn't want it either. I'm going to pick #3 for several reasons.

    1) The stone wall will keep the traffic away
    2) you can make your own "courtyard"
    3) you might have a son's best friend next door

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pick . . . door number three. The only reason is I love the architecture (and I think I can actually spell the word). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, I love the look of #1. But if I know the Farmers, and I like to think I do, you went with #3. Because it's the right price and it's a good location and because of that tax thingy. And it's just a gut feeling. Suzanne Whang is highly overrated anyway. That show doesn't really need her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I really have no idea, haven't been reading you terribly long, but honest I did think house #3 even before I saw the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the others... number 3! Now hurry and tell us! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'll vote with the majority for #3. But I'll admit I was really swayed by Lora Lynn since I know she knows you well.

    Having no mella roos AND a stone wall sounds really great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a choice. Since I don't know you I don't know which one you went with. How about a combo of the 3. I love the looks of the lst one. I like stone and you already have a pool started. The second one is a winner because of the courtyard and #3 is great because of the tax thingie and the bikes next door. I'm sure which ever one it is, you will be thrilled with it. And hopefully, maybe, we can get to meet one of these days when we come out to SD to visit my grandkids and I'll get to see the house in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am really bad at this...i might go for the kids next door though. and if not that one, def one of the other two. i told you i was bad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooooo fun! OK so I had set in my head I was going to pick #3. The Farmer's have good financial smarts. No taxamathinger and best square footage value. HOWEVER, after I read all the votes, I just can't seem to go with the majority and I'm going to move my 2nd pick to my 1st pick. I'm officially voting for #2 because you said the least about this house and it was all praises. I think you were setting us up for #3.

    And my hubby voted #3 with the rest of you.

    How long will you keep us waiting?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for #3 also - the tropical landscaping reference stood out to me...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you laugh at my answers, keep in mind that I have never met you but I have heard a lot about you.

    I say not #1 b/c you probably want more neighbors.

    I say #2. I just read the other votes and they mostly say #3. But I still say #2.

    Those houses are gorgeous and I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MAN--They are all three beautiful homes. I think the Farmer Files picked house #2 (I Love HGTV). Just a random guess.

    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my first thought at just viewing the pictures was that you all chose #3 - it just looks like a Farmer house to me. My second choice was #1. After reading all the pertinent info I still stand by my choices.

    The Sherlock Holmes in me says upgrades to house #3 by the previous owners ='s the reason for that trip to Linens -n- things (that big S took)before they went out of business to retrieve "special" speakers ;).

    Hurry up and spill it woman the not knowing is killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They all are so beautiful. OMG beautiful. I love the Privacy of Number one...HMMMM

    That Tax thing I bet makes a huge difference when deciding something like that out there...HMMM

    Number Two...O MY GOODNESS...I love love love the look of that and all....HMMM

    Majority is saying Three but ONE has a pool started and lots of Stone...HMMMMM

    I want to go with the Majority but for some reason I think Number One but then being On the Frugal side of Life sometimes I would say Three but NAH NAH I am going to be Different and say Number ONE

    NUMBER ONE is my Final answer even though it is probably Majorly WRONG.....LOL BUT I am saying Number ONE

    ReplyDelete
  15. another thing was I picked up something in another post about the Husband and Stone Workers...I think that Is why I am leaning to the first one because you said they had lots of stone left in crates....something about that stands out to me....or I am just reading more in to that...Still I pick Number ONE

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are all fools, and as you know I am a genius! They bought none of these, and went to Costco to see if they could buy a couple houses there for a screaming deal!

    When Reb and I used to watch House Hunters I had an insanely high correct guess %...even if I just picked one at the very end...don't know why. Therefore, I will reveal to all of you my knowledge:

    #3 is what a first thought, because it is the only one with a date stamp in the shot, but you all picked it, so I couldn't go with it.

    #2 one phrase "top of price range"...nough said.

    ERGO...IT IS #1!

    BTW, you can thank Reb for my comments...she told me to read this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooooo I LOVE House Hunters. Ok my little man is climbing on the coffee table so Ill read more later. Great catching up with you the other day. DP

    ReplyDelete
  18. #3...even though all are beautiful. I do have to agree with Dan, he has an uncanny ability to guess the right house. Can't wait to see it (and you!)in April!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would guess....but you told me a very specific detail so I am pretty sure I know which one it is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was good and didn't read any of the comments. I'm picking #3 because of the no-wierd-tax feature and the tropical landscaping. Although that courtyard and openness sounded awful good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I say #1 ... because I read your post on the actual one you bought! Plus, I went with Mr. Eek's answer ... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.