Friday, January 7, 2011

Boy Mom Truth

I entered Life As A Boy Mom practically clueless. I came from Girl World, my life with only one sister. My mom has 4 sisters, and my dad has 9 sisters, which means I have 13 aunts. I have carloads of female cousins. Before babies I worked almost exclusively with females. I make friends easily. And, I love my girlfriends.

I knew not one thing about guarding a little boys heart in 2004, when I had my first child. Before Life As A Boy Mom, I thought little boys were, ... hmmmm, just not girls. I had no idea that they would need me, that they would confide in me, or that their brokenness would bring me to tears. I bought into what strangers whispered.

Boys are trouble makers.
Boys are mean.
Boys are rough.

Now I have three boys.
Mine to share with Dr. Romance, for now.
I am no stranger to boys.
I don't listen to whispers anymore.
Sometimes I cancel their whispers, their bold comments.
I tell them my truth about being a Boy Mom.


Last night my boy sat in my lap and cried.
He spilled mean words to my ears that he heard from other kids.
More heaves. More tears.
He misses San Diego.
More heaves. More tears.
I fight back my own tears.
He will miss Massachusetts when we move away in June.

I shelter him in my arms.
I wipe his tears.
I ask questions.
I want to know and he shares.

Here is my truth.
Boys can be honest.
Boys feel with hulking, soon to be, manly hearts.
They are wishful and dream.

Boys are sensitive.
Boys share boy bonds early on.
They have their own love language.
I don't speak it. But I spot it.


Boys require space.
Boys are loud.
Boys are physical.
They love to roam outside from the beginning.


That need to roam, I count it all joy.
So when the trash needs to be taken OUTside...
When the leaves need to be raked OUTside...
When the snow needs to be shoveled OUTside...
I am last on the list.
Because I am a girl, and I like to keep my pretty sock feet clean.

Boys confront fear.
I cringe. I do not like fear. I do not need to shake hands.
Boys are decisive.
They know what they want.
They author their own decisions
head first, in the dark
plummeting 20 feet in the snow.
The three year old bobs up,
dusts himself off,
and calls it fun.



We call time. We call last sled.
They listen. They obey.

Boys are generous.
Boys are thoughtful.

And the six year old declares,

"I give my last sled time to you and Daddy. You sled together and I will take your picture."

What about you? Do you have a truth about boys?



12 comments:

  1. I was suspicious about them. My poor, sick mother told me and my sister all our lives that she preferred our brothers to us, just couldn't help it. So I had a bias against them. But then I had a son, and learned that boys are special, and honest, and tender, and unbearably sweet, and that sometimes they even grow up and become wonderful men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! I don't think I can add anything more! You covered it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet and true about boys! I love being a mom to 3 boys myself! Thanks for all the wonderful reminders :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like you. I had one sister and God gave me two girls. My husband had two sisters so I guess we're pretty good at the girl stuff. I have nothing to add to the discussion. Although, my last dog was a girl and now we have a boy dog. He's quite different than she was. He is definitely a boy, but lots of fun.

    Very sweet boys you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful truth! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! My boy has taught me so much, they are different but wonderful too. My boy is hurt by injustice, unfairness..yes, wants to be in the midst of other boys.

    love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful words. Such truth. I followed a link on twitter here. I have three boys and when people say, "All boys? 3 boys? Wow, your hands are full." I just nod and think, they can't understand how amazing this journey is. Thank you for sharing that we moms really do love and cherish all that these boys are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always wanted a girl. I had no idea what I would do with boys. God gave me a boy, now I can't imagine how I could have ever thought I didnt want a boy. He is the absolute sunshine of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom OF Boys here tooo and you covered it all! I love this post and I think it might almost be one of my very favorite posts from YOU now! I see I also have to catch up with your blog. I have been MIA! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a girl and a boy, and boy are they different! My boy is a cuddler... he's a bit young right now to see everything yet, but he is a people person to the utmost degree, and he loves being around others. And he's very... tactile? He had to touch with his hands and arms all the time. I think he's gonna be a hugger! Right now, he's my 'squishy'... heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah...I loved this! I'm a momma to two boys and always thought/hoped I'd have a girl first not quite knowing what to expect with boys, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it!! I to am a Mom of three boys. I grew up in the burbs of Cincinnati ~ now I'm on a farm, I grew up with a sister ~ now I'm a "boy Mom," and cooking isn't in my blood ~ now I'm a farm wife.

    Your post touched me so, which brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for writing about all the turths about boys that I too have learned. I couldn't picture my life any other way, ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.