Monday, January 17, 2011

Hair Brained Time

I have a weakness for hair brain ideas. I rationalize them in the sacred name of family fun. Actually, I directly insist on such moments, convinced my family will thank me one day. You might know what I mean.

So on 01/11/11 at 1:11pm I attempted one such hair brain family moment. I warned Dr. Romance 38 minutes ahead of time. I wanted a picture of our family on 1/11/11 at 1:11pm.

But after wrangling three small boys to the stairs, and setting everyone in their places, our family picture looked like this:

Did you catch anything wrong? Like the TIME? Or the fact that my baby is pantless? OR that not everyone is in on the plan? My daydream of a perfect family memory was snapped into pieces by the click of a camera. I was a teeny sad. No perfect photo meant an incomplete day dream of showing this picture years from now to my grandchildren at  a future Thanksgiving. I may or may not be dramatic, right?

Dr. Romance offered an inkling of sympathy until he noticed I was not too aflutter. I was already pondering and planning 11/11/11.

And then Dr. Romance offered to alter time.

And the photo still did not come out like the day dream. And I laughed at myself. I laughed at the day dream. I laughed that it was not going to happen just right. 

I laughed.

It was cathartic.

I laughed. I stepped away from a haze of worries that spouted recently. Already I am thinking six months from now. I have no idea where we will live. I have no idea what life will look like for my kids. I have no idea if we will sell our house in California or if we will move back. I have no idea. And my mind swirls. I like to plan, even plan more than hair brained family fun. The irony is that on New Year's Day, our family gathered around a plate of cookies, and we made a plan. We agreed to trust God in 2011. Just a few days later, I was baffled by worry. My will to trust began to fizzle.

But my mind raced when Dr. Romance altered time. If no one can really reset time, and we just did, how can I not reset my thoughts? How can I not get back to the goal?

So I am altering my thoughts. They will come, the uncertain ones. But I am going to get back to our family goal for 2011. I am making a plan to TRUST.

What about you? Have you made a plan that needs to be altered?

4 comments:

  1. That was a great idea. I like the 1:12 one. It really tells the story. ;0

    Yes, you are right about altering our thoughts. I just purchased a book and dvd that I saw on Christian TV called Who Switched Off my Brain. It's about re-wiring our thinking. I have quite a bit of negativity in my family history, so I'm trying to help myself not focus on negative thoughts and ideas. I am so prone to them.
    You are right though, the bottom line is trust.
    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally lol'd when I read that your turned back the time!! Brilliant, but I know it doesn't quite "feel" the same!! But, great idea about taking a picture at that exact time!!!

    But, I still think the pictures look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I would have reset the time also, so it would have looked right in the photo! This is a great reminder to reset my mind to trust instead of worry. Too bad, I can't do that once and for all. It is a daily choice or even a minute by minute choice sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post for so many reasons! It is so true that we need to constantly remind ourselves to trust God; we do, we say we do, and then we find ourselves not really letting go sometimes (Hubby and I are both - and have become moreso over the years - control freaks! :) [we always talk about the line between planning and trusting...]) And I LOVE your schemes, haha! Hubby always laughs at me for my schemes. I think the picture is perfect, everybody is smiling, you look so cute, and the littlest got his pants, haha. And I love your writing :) I hope you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.