Sunday, April 5, 2009

No Longer "A Place to Call Home"

Our house in Virginia is no longer "ours!" Last week, the sale was final. This is such a humongous praise and quite a heavy burden lifted! We kept the escrow quiet because we wanted to make sure the deal was done. Several contracts came through in the seven months the house was on the market, but none led to a final sale. And in the last month or two no contracts came through at all. We had to sell the house by a certain date, and God came through just before with a full asking price offer! To Him be the glory!

Hubs made some last repairs in November. He called me in Hawaii and I asked a huge favor. Now before I even tell, I am warning you it may seem silly. But it shouldn't sound too silly if you remember the goodbye to my Hawaii house.

I asked him in a cracking voice to stand specifically in Son1's room and say goodbye for me. For emphasis, I told him to say it out loud. NO cheating and thinking a goodbye in his head. Oh that man! He loves me. He performed twice for me. Right after we hung up, he said goodbye to Son1's room, and then once again before he left the house for the very last time.

I am sentimental. I am a sap, and overly sensitive. We had a lot of special memories in that house. But what meant the very, very most to me was that room where my first born child slept. It wasn't so much that it was his room. No. It was in that place that I felt so very much, feelings I never ever felt until 2004. Watching my newborn sleep, watching his chest rise and fall, wondering whom he would become, and praying for his future all happened there. It was in that room that I cried tears of frustration, of exhaustion, and of immense love. That room was where I started to get my bearings as a mother, a new and permanent phase in my life.

I am honestly glad the house is sold. No matter where we live, those memories no longer live in that room. They live in my heart.

13 comments:

  1. got all teary about this post b/c I KNOW!!!
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, I got teary eyed too. I'm so glad you sold your house but I understand the sentimentality part. We are putting our house of 35 years up for sale this summer. Lots of memories--and stuff!!--to part with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet...one things for sure, no one can ever accuse you of not being sentimental ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will miss your house too! I kind of felt a little less out here by myself knowing that you owned property near by. Sounds silly huh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, teary eyed. But HOOOORAAYYYY! on the sell of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to leave the house you brought your babies home to. I'm glad you'll have new baby memories in this new house.

    You have a sweet husband.
    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwww, congrats, and praise God for that great offer! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOO...tissue warning please...you would think I was pregnant the way I have cried over your posts!

    congrats on the sell of your VA HOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Geez, thanks for the tissue moment. No, no matter where you live (or where your children live after their all grown up) those moments are with you forever! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the sale, I know that is a huge relief! God is so good isn't He?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm crying as I read this over my 6:30 breakfast! What a great way to start the day.... REALLY:) Now I'm off to school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Memories are precious aren't they? They tug on one's heart....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.