Friday, April 3, 2009

Ultrasound Update

I thought today would never come. This is my third ultrasound in my 18 weeks of pregnancy. And I was most anxious for this ultrasound.

Two weeks after I missed my period, we saw a baby bean with a heart beat in Hawaii, just a few centimeters long. Still, I did not feel pregnant. With Son1 I was fighting to stay awake at work at this same point. With Son2 I was hugging the commode around the clock. The ObGyn assured me the heart was beating, even though I did not have pregnancy symptoms.

At 13.5 weeks pregnant, nearly starting my second trimester, my new practice wanted to peek at the baby. I felt no pregnancy symptoms, and was really worried. I had not gained any weight. The nurse practitioner spent a lot of time peeking, and assured me once again all was fine. She showed me my super active baby. I had not gained any weight to this point.

At 17.5 weeks I expressed my concerns to my ObGyn. Both of my boys were really active at this point already. She suggested maybe I was so stretched down there that I could not feel anything. I had no linea negra for the first time, and still no pregnancy symptoms, except for dry heaving over a dirty diaper. We listened with the doppler and she found kicks far before she found a heart beat. She heard movement all over my uterus. People were shocked when I said I was pregnant. If you saw me either of the last two times you would understand their shock. Before I always stuck out as soon as I took the pregnancy test.

This week was my high level ultrasound. The technician took 60 pictures for the radiologist before she let me see anything. I expressed again that I was so concerned that I wasn't feeling the baby. I had not gained much weight almost half way through my pregnancy. I had not even regained weight to my prepregnancy weight with either boy. I wore my own clothes to the ultrasound, not maternity clothes. She listened without saying much. She left to start paperwork and I sat alone with Hubs and Son1. I asked Hubs if he really thought everything was ok.

She returned and showed us around my uterus. Baby #3 would not lay still! Baby sucked the thumb, somersaulted, and definitely was active! I felt none of this! She kept pointing to body parts, and I kept expecting her to tell us something was very wrong. But finally, she asked if we wanted to know the sex of the baby.

I knew that this is traditionally the last question asked in an Ob ultrasound. We all said YES! And the most relieving words to hear were, "It's a boy!!" I knew our ultrasound had come to an end. I knew that the last thing the technician said was "Congratulations!" And it finally sunk in! A healthy baby boy is joining the Farmer family!

19 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh....congratulations to the Farmer family!!!!!!! What a blessing! I'm sure all your concerns were laid to rest!! How exciting for you!!!

    Good to read a post from you, and I like the new layout!!!! Very cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has everyone been telling you that you will probably feel the baby very soon. At 18 weeks with my first, the doctor who did the ultrasound said, "I can't believe you can't feel all that movement."

    I am so glad the baby is healthy. I am happy you are blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats..I knew it would be a boy. Are you gonna stick with the same initials as the last two, it could prove to be a bit more challenging the third time around ;)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad you've got some mental relief and that the news is all good. And HELLO THREE BOYS! YOu'll love it. Really.

    Love the new look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just thrilled for you! and Yeah! on not gaining weight - no need till the end they say.

    Also love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful news!! I'm so happy to hear you and the baby are doing well. Thanks for the update. I'm bedridden and SUPER BORED after my knee surgery so seeing an update on The Farmer Files was a nice surprise. Hugs to your little ones and give Big S a pat on the back for us. We have our plane tickets back to Hawaii for June 6th. I can't believe its right around the corner. Hubby will be out to sea again at the end of our first week there. (I can't believe that!..... Well... Sure I can.) Take Care! DP

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay r, i'm so glad everything is ok! welcome back, we've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I practically jumped for join when Google Reader said:
    The Farmer Files (2)
    today!! I have miss hearing from you. Sounds like you are having an out-of-baby experience with this pregnancy so far. I'm so glad that the doctors are telling you that everything is OK and Son3 is on the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachelle, don't worry at all about feeling nothing... with my little J I lost weight instead of gaining for the first 1/2, and still felt ZERO baby acrobatics until over 5 months along. Needless to say, I felt "out of tune" with my body.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK I sat here reading this with TEARS of JOY streaming down my face! Congrats big time and aweseome post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy for you. I know you must have been very worried and scared. I would have been. But it sounds as if everything is fine.

    BTW, I love the new header from SD.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the new addition to the family. We are so happy to hear the baby is healthy and its another boy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so thrilled for you! That is awesome! It must be great not to have any symptoms... I was lucky to have only a few symptoms, but not much, when pregnant! Congratulations!!!

    So, you have a lil wiggle worm too?

    ReplyDelete
  14. No pink! Didn't like that color anyway:) My little guy will be thrilled to have another boy to pay with:) Hope you are doing well in SD. I was a little worried because I hurt my wrist and had to see the doctor, but all is well and today I feel no pain. Luv u.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woohoo! Congratulations on another sweet little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! The new look is great and the news about the next boy is, too. Two Farmer boys are good. Three are even better!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. CONGRATULATIONS! this is such a happy news! I am smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, what a relief for you. What great news. I'm excited for you.
    God didn't give you more than you could handle. You didn't need to be hanging out over a toilet during this time. Too much to do.
    Thank you God.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  19. How exciting! Three boys are a ton of fun :).

    I'm glad all is well with baby boy #3, sounds like he's quite an active guy :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.