Friday, November 5, 2010

If you Give a Squirrel a Pumpkin

We are a family of traditions. With so many moves, I want my kids to know consistency, regardless of what city we call home. There is an expectancy on our part as parents, and their part as kids. There are ways we do things, things that are our Commons. We have our daily traditions, our weekly traditions, our lifestyle traditions, and obviously our feasting traditions. I want them to know things that are purposeful and established in our home. I want them to know a family legacy.

I am awed by their small fry brotherhood. It is a distinct subculture. They hang together, and giggle together, and fight together. Its beautiful. Along came Halloween, and the boy tribe went to church dressed in orange. I want them to remember their childhood gusto for being their own posse, for loyalty and honor to one another. I want that gusto for them, the same gusto my husband has for our family, for their families one day.

brothers

I want their lives to reflect a God that loves them more than they love each other or anyone else. I want them to know they can never be as great alone as they can be with Him. So as we hollowed out the pumpkins, I explained how we too are like pumpkins. There are parts of us that are dark and icky on the inside. But a loving God cleans us up, and His light can shine through us.

scooping seeds

And at our house, there are the childhood traditions that are just plain ol' fun, like eating Mummy Dogs. I made these for my kids during the month of October. The boys loved these so much they may request these year round. Ah, but I am a traditionalist. Sorry boys, October only.
This year is a year like no other. Some things cannot be steeped in tradition since we can only live here through June. And for those moments, I want my kids to learn to live in the moment, to embrace what life offers when it comes.

Hubs casually mentioned a few special activities at Harvard for the kids. Obviously, I wouldn't want to take the kids for just an hour on a Friday, driving in traffic, he reasoned. WHAT?!? Of course I did. When else were my kids going to trick or treat at Harvard? I want our kids to know fun. I want them to know that we cannot always be practical, be schedule oriented, and be so steeped in tradition, in a set way of doing things, that they cannot STRETCH. There is, however, a difference between stretching and bending until we snap from bending too far. They trick or treated again on Sunday night. Son1 saw a neighbor friend and wanted to trick or treat with his family. He invited himself, in a way. But I pulled him aside and told him that we were staying together as a family, that we would not leave anyone behind, and for safety he was staying with us. The streets are dark, and the lights are too dim. Plus it was a bitter 39 degrees, and he should want to stay near me since I had his jacket. He stopped and thought about what I said. He just smiled and agreed.

The day after Halloween we pulled into our driveway and found a very hungry squirrel. The kids shrieked in our van at the sight. I felt hot prickles on the back of my neck. Our pumpkins were a squirrel's feast. The kids wanted me to know. They wanted me to see. I thought they were upset. I was a little bugged myself. I thought how I might cry if I was their age. 

It was quiet for a moment or two. Then I heard a curious voice ask, "Hey, Mommy, do you have a camera with you?" And then another voice, "Yeah, yeah, yeah!!! Take a picture!"

"Hurry Mommy, HURRY! You are going to miss it!!" And while I scrounged around for my camera, I smiled. They are boys. They see wonder sometimes when I see a problem. When I saw a pumpkin problem, they saw a pumpkin opportunity. It is amazing how they think differently, see differently.We watched as the squirrel dined on the pumpkin lid, and rolled it with its tiny hands.

In an instant the squirrel was gone. I thought we were done with our little observation. But my boys saw a different view. "NO MOMMY! Look behind you!" And there he was sitting at the edge of our driveway behind me.


11 comments:

  1. You know I love traditions! They are so special and you're right, consistent :) I love the bond between the boys (yours, and ours already :)), oh it so incredibly cute and special and sweet! and your boys are so blessed to have you as their mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to wanting the kids to have gusto for each other and our family as a whole. On Halloween night I was thinking about how once my kids are old enough to trick or treat without Chris or me, then they will be too old to trick or treat. I want us to stick together as a family for fun activities too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mummy dogs idea! And I love the traditions. When I was younger, we spent every holiday with my entire huge family. But now everyone is so scattered that a lot of our holidays are spent with just the five of us. I've made it a point to make traditions for just us. (although I WISH we lived closer to family!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love that first photo! So adorable! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They will surely cherish these traditions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely make those mummy dogs next year! It is clear from your photo that the boys are all getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  7. neat post, you are so right, we need to cherish their tribe and cherish their boy-ish-ness! I enjoy watching the squirrels around our house, I just wish they'd stop dumping the bird feeders out...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your boys are so adorable! I love the idea of the mummy dogs. Since we have a newborn (first child for both of us) I am wanting to combine traditions from both of our families and start new ones. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, your boys are so adorable together :). And your little one is getting big! Love your thoughts on family traditions and the relationship between your boys - I see that with my boys and it is beautiful :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how you did a lesson with the pumpkins! :) What a wonderful object lesson for them to learn, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.