Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins

Recipe courtesy of Bon Apetit Magazine at the end of this post.

We are moving soon. Moving again sends me spiraling. When I start to let the "I Cant's" creep into my mind, I remind myself that "I Can" and that "I Have." I remember moves past. I remember the things that were easy, and the things that were awful. And I remember God's hand in it all. It is the only way I keep bright in the foreground and bitter in the backdrop. And, on Sunday, the Banana Macadamia Nut muffins were more than muffins. They reminded me of a move to Hawaii made with apprehension with rewards of many blessings. I needed to be reminded.

It helped that our baby has suddenly, without notice, ended a banana breakfast ritual. He recently declared a banana strike. That is how I ended up with plenty of ripe bananas. It was also the end of just effortlessly preparing half of his breakfast. Truly this was a momentary grumbling point. I am over it now.

Following the Bon Appetit Magazine recipe, I mashed 3 bananas. My bananas were not smooth like baby food puree. They had a bit of chunkiness to them. The recipe called for all things to be mixed by hand, so I assumed this was sufficient.
 

And when I added the sugars, eggs, and melted butter to the 3 bananas, I knew the reviews that declared these to be moist muffins were dead accurate.


Then I hand blended the wet ingredients I cannot even begin to express how appetizing bananas blended with sugars and pooled with melted butter and vanilla smells. Oh.My.Word. This was my favorite moment preparing the ingredients right here. The lumpiness of the bananas turned a bit smoother.
I did not chop the macadamia nuts very finely. I don't like digging for nuts when a recipe calls for them. I like them to be robust and present. The nuts on the right have not been chopped. The group on the left was the final result.

I toasted the macadamia nuts and chopped them before placing them in the batter. I almost did not toast them. It seemed silly if I they were going to bake in the oven anyway. But was I wrong! If you have ever wafted the smell of toasted macadamia nuts....oh heaven! Oh how I missed living in Hawaii when I pulled these out of the toaster oven.
I reserved the last of the nuts to top the batter. I may or may not have been a bit giddy at this point! The rich smell of the batter with the heaven of those toasted nuts...I almost did not want to part with the batter because I may have tasted it a time or two.


Finally, after 25 minutes I opened my oven and my family came running!


Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins
Courtesy Bon Apetit Magazine

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup unsalted macadamia nuts, toasted, chopped
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease twelve muffin cups or line with muffin papers. Sift first 4 ingredients into large bowl. Combine bananas, both sugars, butter, milk and egg in medium bowl. Mix into dry ingredients. Fold in half of nuts. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops of muffins with remaining macadamia nuts. Bake until muffins are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer muffins to rack and cool.

7 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I'm ready to come running, too. Those look delicious. I don't dare try them until I have company for breakfast because I would surely eat them all myself. Maybe the next time the grands spend the night . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you found me at M.O.B.

    We are six months into our last move. It was more difficult than I had thought. We moved in the day my oldest started school and we didn't know anyone. But God is faithful and we have started to build some fantastic relationships in our new community.

    Our first move was away from all my friends out onto an acreage when my oldest was 2 and my middle was 5 months. It was my hubs dream, but pretty isolating for this social butterfly. A friend gave me a book about a pioneer woman following her hubs dream to move west called A Packet Full
    Of Seeds. Children's book and beautiful, at least it ministered to me during that first move.

    Your babies will remember the relationships you build. Keep it up mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love baking for memories! And these muffins sound amazing. I am always looking for something to do with overripe bananas. The boys usually eat 5 a day between them, so when they go on a strike I have a similar situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can almost smell them now. I love white chocolate macadamia nut cookies or biscotti. The Banana muffins are a healthier option. If only Bella were not allergic to peaunts & tree nuts. Although she hasn't been specifically tested for macadamia nuts, maybe that will be part of her annual testing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are moving again already?? Wow!!

    And those muffins look soooooo good!! My favorite type of muffin, plus my favorite nut!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is watering!

    Hoping the preparations for your move go well -- I know from experience how difficult transition is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) I was looking on allrecipes.com for a banana recipe tonight! (didn't find anything that I wanted)
    2) a friend just gave me macadamia nuts
    3) your description is mouthwatering (like another commenter said)
    Conclusion: I'm going to make these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.