Thursday, February 17, 2011

On Measuring Valentine's Day

I wonder how to measure a complete and successful Valentine's Day. How do you measure if it was good enough?

Before the babies came, Valentine's Day was measured at work. Who had the long stem roses delivered? Who had the fanciest dinner reservations? Who had the most booty and swag, and the largest and most balloons? That was how love was measured.

Now I have three boys and I am home on Valentine's Day. For the last three years we celebrated around a meal with an arsenal of boy-rated fancies, and boy-themed cards, and boy-inclined shiny-s and large over done red plunder. It was a sight to see. But not this year. Dr. Romance had a night class that canceled a fancy family dinner. Instead, we settled for a quick breakfast meal. Mornings already are rushed with Dr. Romance heading to Harvard, and the two older boys heading to two different schools. So that old Valentine's measuring stick came out. I wondered if this mama's Valentine's Day was good enough.

I wondered as I packed heart shaped lunch sandwiches. I wondered as I set out paper packaged dinosaur heart plates for breakfast. I wondered as I cut hearts from frozen waffles. A guilt wave surged over such a hasty breakfast. Frozen waffles seemed so common.

I stopped wondering when I pulled out the whipped cream, because whipped cream makes you forget all kinds of stuff. And my love, Dr. Romance, presented me secret sophisticated strawberry sauce he bought in California for such a time as this. We drew initials on the waffles, because every superhero loves his initial monogrammed on everything, like the big S for Superman. And the two of us working together, assembling three boys' waffle plates, could not be measured.

I giggled when Dr. Romance handed me my breakfast plate. He was cooking behind me. I don't know how to measure a man that presses Wilton cutters over my cheesy eggs.

We gathered the baby's plate. He did not measure himself as leftovers.
I don't know why I worry. Those boys measured breakfast as special. They measured with laughter. To them, I was good enough. I gathered the plates, and the eldest wandered into the kitchen. "Close your eyes, Mommy. We have a surprise for youuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I closed my eyes, fully expecting a Valentine's card, stuffed with a gift card. I opened my eyes, and was a bit confused by the red velvety tower until I saw the logo on the card.
I first saw Sugardaddy's on Throwdown. Seventeen months ago I held my newborn in my arms and drooled over their Tahitian Blondies. I settled the baby, and then fell asleep on the couch before the show ended. Dr. Romance surprised me a day later with them on my doorstep. They are not for the every day. Frozen Valentine's waffles cannot even touch this stuff.

But even greater joy came from his words in my card. They measured me.

And that little card, with those little words, were enough. If those lightly scrawled words were enough, how could my frozen waffles not be enough?
Because there is more. With wisdom and genius, the evening class was canceled at the last minute. I almost cringed when Dr. Romance, in all of his elation, proposed we order Thai food for dinner. This was definitely not my idea of a Valentine's dinner. I don't crave Thai food. But Dr. Romance does, and so do my kids. So I silenced those inner thoughts and picked up dinner with my eldest. As he nearly skipped down the sidewalk with joy to the Thai restaurant, I took a breath, and smiled. I looped my arm through his. "C'mon, you're my date," I said. Once home, we unpacked dinner, pulled out the Valentine's Day cards that arrived from afar, and read the many ways we are loved.

No fanfare. No gift bags of swag. No red explosions filling our dining room.

But this Farmer Valentine's Day? It was more than enough.


9 comments:

  1. What a great story! Our V-Day started out with the cat escapting 5 times before 8 AM (my husband is on a walker, so every time he goes out the front door, the cat tries to make his get-away) and an argument, followed by apologies...and my 9-month-old falling head over heels in love with the mylar balloon my dad bought him. Then Hubby came home with a Shark Steam Mop, which I have been talking about for months (most women would be appalled but I was just glad he listened to me and was able to get it out of the store himself, being crippled and all).

    After you've been married 5 years, V-Day is measured quite a bit differently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day for you. I love the surprise they had for you. Also noticed the turkey bacon on the plate. haha. I guess there is turkey bacon is in the limelight between our two blogs.
    ♥ Joy haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great post! Truly, I feel what you're saying so much. I used to think I compared myself to other moms I know that I thought were "perfect." But actually, I think we all compare ourselves to what we think perfect would be (since no person actually is).

    We had pizza on vday plates from the $1 store for dinner. The kids loved it. They loved our $5 worth of pink heart decorations I threw up before dinner. They loved getting to open their cards at the dinner table. And they loved getting to pick a red or white or pink homemade cupcake from the over-sprinkled plate for dessert. If the point is romance, we didn't hit it. If the point is LOVE--we probably overshot the mark!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. more than enough, my sweet computer friend! Next time, grab take out that you love to to go with the Thai:) We had baseball practice on Valentine's day and celebrated with nasty candy hearts that they all LOVE. LOL. I'll take sticky sugar kisses from dirty little boys over long-stemmed roses any day.
    Carry on with your good work...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--I feel like your creative Valentine's breakfast puts my attempts to shame! (But I know I would have missed the whole point of your post if I walked away feeling that way) I'm so glad you had a lovely V-day, and as you articulated so beautifully through your story, our children and our spouses are in love with US and our hearts--not the arts and crafts that we do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like the perfect Valentine's to me!!! I love how cheerful everything looked for breakfast!!! So fun!! And great job to your hubby for that awesome gift, and even better note!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this. REally, really love this. How could it not be enough. Such a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for stopping by my place via amber's blog. i love how the blogging community works! :)
    i've read from top down to this post just to "get to know" you a bit, and this post is so incredibly sweet and perfect b/cs of our own measured imperfections. i love it. so glad i stopped by!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.