Friday, April 1, 2011

No Rain, No Rainbows

***
The Gypsy Mama is hosting Five Minute Friday.

Here are the rules:
We just write. For five minutes flat.

Today’s topic is “A Few of my Favorite Things”



GO.
A few of my favorite things are Diet Coke over large ice cubes, warm triple chocolate brownies, and living within minutes of the ocean. I don't anymore, but I have for 29 years of my life.

I also love words that tingle my senses.

I have vivid childhood memories of staring curiously at the little girl on the Morton's salt can. I read the slogan over and over, "When it rans, it pours." I loved reading the rounded cursive letters long before I ever learned to write my own loopy letters.
I marveled at those overlong raindrops. I believed that somewhere rain like that existed. Of course, rain like that existed somewhere other than my hometown of San Diego. I dreamt of living someplace where it poured. When it rains in San Diego, it does nor pour. And if it does rain a bit, the raindrops never look like those. But I itched to have a great big umbrella like hers and skip through puddles in galoshes.

What a joke. I am the girl on the Morton's can. I only carry a king sized umbrella when it rains. I don't like to be wet and feel my clothes stick to my skin.

I do not like rain. When we lived in Hawaii I found a new slogan I loved.

"No rain, no rainbows."

It is so much more beautiful a saying than anything about pouring rain.

For St. Patrick's Day I made these muffins. They did not turn out like the ones on the recipe. They were not supposed to look like tie dyed muffins.
But then I topped them off with vanilla icing for "fluffy clouds" and split them down the middle.

I remembered, "No rain, no rainbows."

STOP

Other than the time it took me to upload pictures and format, the writing was five minutes flat!

20 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by your childhood fascination with the Morton's Salt girl. :) (When I was little I LOVED to stare at the Land O' Lakes and Sunmaid Raisin girls! But I digress...and now I'm totally in the mood for a big fudgy brownie! :) What a unique post! It was such fun to read this today, as there is cold drizzly icky rain out my window right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh! i love the phrase and the inside of the cupcakes. yum! and i have to admit i love splashing around in rain boots :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the Morton salt girl! About 5 years ago I had a beautiful bright yellow jacket like that. My boss used to jokingly refer to me as "The Morton Salt Girl" after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were a Morton's Salt family, too, and I always wanted a yellow raincoat like the little girl's. How funny that you brought back the memory! I'm only a fan of rain when I'm inside, nice and warm and dry.

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diet Coke over large ice cubes, a favorite of mine too. Enjoyed your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember staring at the Morton's salt girl one day, mesmerized by the rain and her rain jacket. I too hate being wet, but I hate carrying umbrellas? Hm. Anyway, love your rain/rainbow cupcakes! They look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from 5 min. Fri. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! How wonderful of you to visit. I love Diet Coke! It is another fav of mine. And chocolate brownies are to die for. They are so scrump-dilly-ious! It is so funny that you posted about rainbow cupcakes. You have got to be the 5th blogger to post about them in the past week. I have been so tempted to try and make them, but it just looks like so much effort goes into it. I think yours turned out neat. I'm a word fan too! Toodles and have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could make cupcakes like that! I'm not a fan of cake or cupcakes, but those are so cool I'd probably change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids would LOVE those cupcakes! How fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ya know, I will never look at the salt container the same again!!!! :)

    And the cupcakes look delicious!!

    I remember those Hawaii rainbows! They were the best, and always felt so close!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Visiting via five minute Fridays!
    When I was a kid I wanted to be the MOrton girl too! I love your tie dye muffins by the way! They looked like they were really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, yes: "I also love words that tingle my senses." Lovely five minute post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that your mention it, I remember desperately wanting to look like the sunmaid raisin girl when I was little. Gosh, I had completely forgotten about that. Living minutes from the ocean...I've never done that, but I would think that it would be heavenly. Those cupcakes do look like rainbows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! You really are my soul sister . . . diet coke with ice (and if I can get diet coke with lime, so much the better), triple chocolate brownies, and the beach?!?!?! Ahhhhhhhh. We could definitely hang out. :) I've always had a thing for typography, too. I, however, love a good soaking rain (when appropriately dressed). I'm also fond of huge umbrellas and puddlestomping. AND those cupcakes? Please share. I want to make them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so impressed--I had wondered where you were going with the cupcakes, and I love how you brought it back to the 'no rain, no rainbows.' And you did it in five minutes. Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you loved the Morton salt girl and wanted to live in a place where there was rain and then found out that you hate rain.

    It's kind of like finding out that the clouds are just fog in the air -- they aren't the fluffy, marshmellow like trampolines in the air -- that I wish that they were.

    Things are not always as they seem on the other side, are they?

    ReplyDelete
  17. My favorites is Diet Cherry Coke over ice... and I love anything chocolate-especially warm triple chocolate brownies! I would love to live by the ocean, but we don't. At least I can go up north to our cabin and look out on the lake.
    Thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I, too, remember that Morton salt girl....lol. Cupcakes look yummy! I will have to file that away for when Gummy is older. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is there a link I missed? I totally want the recipe for those cupcakes. THey look so fun!

    As for Morton, I seem to have connected more with Mrs. Butterworth, somehow. Guess that's what was on the table more than the salt container. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.