Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Congratulations to Your Parents

Family culture in Hawaii is warm and beautiful. "Ohana" or family, extends beyond a traditional family unit. It means family that you are born into, and any adoptive or intentional family. It means every one that is tight knit and close, all those that are involved in your children's lives.Recently Son1 won an award at school. There was a punch and cookie reception after the assembly for the recipients. Many parents and tutus (Hawaiian word for grandparents), aunties and uncles (either by blood, or a term of respect for any adult and close to the child) attended the reception. Trays and trays of food were displayed. But before the reception, the principal had a few words to share.

We all congratulated the recipients with an applause. Afterward, the principal addressed the children, and shared that this honor was not just for them, but also for their parents, for their grandparents, and for their aunties and uncles. He said much about respect and honor, and the responsibility children have to their parents. Finally, the children were asked to get cookies and drink first for their ohana, and then for themselves. The children obediently went to the lines, selected goodies for their ohana, before serving themselves.

I attended by myself, while Hubs took time off to watch Son2. My heart melted when Son1 brought an embarrassing amount of food back to me. I declined a powdered doughnut. Those are Son1's favorite. His smile stretched across his face, and he said, "I want you take this all home to Daddy!" He knew his Daddy was home just so that I could come. I am grateful in a small way he understood.

18 comments:

  1. My 5yo daughter goes around saying, "Ohana means family and family means no one gets left behind." She's a tad bit obsessed with Lilo and Stitch.
    And I did totally recognize your name from "Lollipops"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet! I don't know if my 3 1/2 year old could get "treats" for me before eating any himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to Son1 on his award. What a special time.
    I love the powdered donuts story. That was sweet.

    I wish you the best with your move and hope all goes smooth. If you don't like CA just move on down to Texas. I think you would like it here. We'd love to have you and your beautiful family.
    We were in the San Francisco area when we lived there (East Bay actually). Beautiful place.
    Not sure what are your moving too.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh..that is sooooo sweet!!!!!! What a sweet son you have!!!!!!!! Sooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweetheart! And congratulations to your son on his award! I know you are so proud! What a wonderful honor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOO HE is so cute and tooo sweet! Thank you for sharing with US. IT made me smile! I love to visit here and leave with the warmest feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just when you think you can't love them anymore. They say or do something that just makes your heart swell ten times more. So, sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can picture the scene and his smile. What a great culture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great cultural tradition. Besides rooting and connecting a child, it teaches that he/she is responsible to someone other than self.

    Your Son1 is a sweetie though.

    I'm not sure if mine at that age would've eaten the food... or spilled it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so amazing how quickly they learn and how important it is for us to encourage them with their tender loving heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...he is starting his wall of awards early :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great example to set for the students. Congratuations son1.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mama, you must be raising him right. What a great story to share.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's like those hand towels in the Easley's guest bathroom that said " Friends are the only family you get to choose" or something along those lines. At any rate you get the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is such a sweet and sensitive boy. You must have taught him well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to live somewhere that everyone's children would call me grandma!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.