Thursday, January 7, 2010

One Year Ago on the Sixth of January

One year ago we lived on Oahu, preparing for our big move to the Big Rock. Our boys sensed excitement and anticipation. But there was more to come than just a new city and a new house. One year ago in Honolulu, our doctor announced that a new life was indeed growing inside of me. She pointed to a flashing heartbeat of our exactly 6 week old baby, just 8 millimeters long, on an ultrasound screen. She let us linger in silence, in amazement, and in love. She knew we were moving. She knew it might take me awhile to find a new doctor. And she knew how very important this appointment was for us to see this precious baby right then.

Months passed. The baby grew, and we grew, too. We grew eager to meet this precious one. My family all wanted to touch my belly, and they asked questions about all I felt from the inside out. He rolled, he tumbled, and kicked every which way.

But as the weeks surrounding his arrival neared, I became anxious around bedtime. I would start to doze off, and be startled into alertness. I often reached for Hubby's hand and asked him to pray RIGHT THEN. For the first time ever I was nervous about the delivery of our baby. I asked our church to pray. I asked others to pray, too.

I recalled a child I knew thirteen years before. She was a first grader at a school where I volunteered. She was wheel chair bound, unable to communicate with spoken language. Her story was that a faulty monitor during labor prevented the doctors from detecting loss of oxygen and a decelerated heart rate, resulting in her permanent state. Her story haunted me at night during my last trimester. So we prayed for peace and God's protection during delivery.

September 3, 2009, I laid in the hospital awaiting the birth of my son. A nurse was monitoring my contractions. She checked the monitor tape and frowned. It was just a momentary decelerated heart rate. Nothing prolonged. Nothing to worry about, she said. A prolonged deceleration might indicate infant stress, a wrapped cord, or other danger. But no, my contractions were normal.

Son3 was born shortly thereafter. He was born with a double chord around his neck, and around his body. But he was absolutely well, with no signs of distress. What an experience, to know I had prayed for the Lord's protection for this baby, and despite his chord experience, the Lord indeed protected him.

He is healthy. He is beautiful. He is one year bigger than when I first saw his heart beat on that screen. Except he has grown into a 4 month social yet easy going baby. He is so loved by our family.
A few times last week I was asked what I will remember most about 2009, or for what I was most grateful. Without a doubt I will remember how the Lord chose to bless us with a third beautiful, healthy, and happy baby.

14 comments:

  1. wow.

    this is the first I heard of this story. God is indeed so gracious to us. Celebrate away my friend!

    And ***ENJOY*** having all your kiddos home (re: last post) It goes too fast not to enjoy every bit of family time together ~ even of the WORST of days!
    love you,
    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, my heart still pounds wildly whenever I look at my Adam, our frank breach, cord-wrapped little miracle. Then I kiss that little scar on his chest and nuzzle his head. Some day, he's gonna make me stop that. But not yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am crying. Praise God for great things He has done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing testimonies like this!!!! God is so good all the time!! He indeed protected your wee one in your tummy!!!!!!!

    He is so beautiful, just like your other boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that Santa suit. I have a picture with you holding Joshua dressed in that suit and I was holding Bella dressed in a red velvet dress with white trim. I only remember that because, I have have a scrapbook of just Christmas and that picture is in it. Had it not been Christmas, and had I not just looked at the book, I probablly wouldn't remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post! It should have included a tissue warning at the top however! Happy Friday Farmers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is such a cutie. I do hope I get to see him in person next week. I need a baby fix. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great testimony Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We miss you, Farmers! We're so glad that Son3 is well and healthy and that you're soaking up every minute of this season of life. We're trying to do the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww! I remember all the nightmares I had with my daughter, and praying and praying that things would go well, and they did.

    Your boys are all so beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The newest Farmer is so stinkin' cute! So glad everything turned out well. He's just as perfect as his older brothers! That's a great picture of you two!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy that Son3 is healthy! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.