Tuesday, June 17, 2008

School is OUT!

School is OUT! Son1's class was mixed with 3 and 4 year olds. Recently, we had preschool graduation for the older children. It was precious, complete with songs, dances, and a slide show that made me bawl. It was once again complete with Hawaiian tradition.

The students wore caps and capes. The capes are in school colors, and are printed with plumeria flowers, our state flower.
It is customary to offer each graduate a lei as a sign of honor and love. The children's leis were made of candy, macaroni, fake flowers, foam shapes, and some even had little toys inside. Graduates are also honored with blow up swimming rings. We had many talks with Son1 that some of his friends were moving onto Kindergarten. He said he wanted to go , too if he could just wear a cap and a cape. :)After the graduation ceremony we returned to the classroom for a potluck celebration. Potlucks are common in Hawaii. I signed up to bring whatever was needed. Son1 requested his mommy bring macaroni and cheese. So the teacher sent me home a note and told me so. Well I couldn't just make the box version. Other families were going to bring some fab dishes and I had to bring macaroni and cheese, at my son's request. Noooo....I had to make the fancy shmancy homemade version. The kids went crazy over it at the potluck.

It is uncommon to arrive empty handed as an invited guest in Hawaii. There is always plenty of food, though. At the end of the event, like the preschool graduation, it is cultural to ask everyone to make themselves a "to go" plate for leftovers. You never leave a local party hungry!!

The teachers were also given multiple leis. On special occasions like today honorees don several leis at a time.

Surprise, surprise, even I was honored with a lei for being the contact parent, or Room Mom. These are individually wrapped Japanese treats.

Treat bags are passed out from each classmate, to each classmate, at the end of the year party. I couldn't find my fancy treat bags, so we settled for sandwich baggies. The monkey books went to the boys, and lady bug books went to the girls. I also added some candies and other treats.


Son1 can't wait for school to start again.! I wonder if it is partly for the goody bags.....

4 comments:

  1. OOO How fun! That sounds like a GREAT pre school! They are so awesome there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man they sure know how to throw a party in Hawaii! I love all their traditions and customs related to the giving of treats and flowers - bring on the gifts people ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful way to end the year! I hope my little ones will get to experience a class/teacher/school like yours. DP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the capes! I would want to gradute too just to wear one of those. Tell Son 1 that I totally agree:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.