Monday, June 2, 2008

That Boxcar Got Me Going on a Field Trip

The morning was wild. I should have known it was going to be eventful. I knew it when Son1 catapulted himself over the sleigh bed railing of his brother's crib like a man shot out of a cannon at the circus. He landed alongside his brother and he was a-jumpin' and a-bouncin'. The more I hushed him he became more boisterous. Hubby was sick, and was going to go into work a few hours late, around 930m rather than 530am. He needed to sleep.

I was in a hurry. Son1 had a field trip that morning, and the teachers like them at school by 745 am on field trip days. Considering we were walking, we had to leave by 725am, you know, to account for shadow watching, lizard poking, and flower smelling. I plucked the baby from his crib, readied him, and pattered down the stairs with him hoisted on my hip. Son1 was already into his toys. As I was slapping something together for breakfast, I saw Son1 climb into his boxcar he made at preschool. This is a serious boxcar. He even installed a paper plate steering wheel with a brad. He pulled it up over his shoulders and started to spin. Distracted and rushed, I ignored his antics. But, really, I was all too aware that he was making himself as dizzy as he could. Round and round and round again, and suddenly, he came to a dramatic halt, balanced himself with his toes, and blew up all over my floor. He missed his boxcar completely.


No, no, no. Now there was a puking mess all over the floor. Son1 was crying and shrieking. I grabbed some kitchen towels, and went to work before I allowed myself to get frustrated. Then I disinfected. Finally, I wiped what little mess he was, and plunked him down on the couch and tossed a blanket over him, shirtless. I served breakfast to Son2, plotting my options. Could I send him to school? The teachers are pretty strict about no attendance if a child has vomited in the last 24 hours. He probably had just spun himself sick, and was fine. Then again, it was Preschool Field Day. If he got himself sick spinning, maybe he would be sick at field day. Better to be safe than sorry. Also, I am the preschool Room Mom (yes, it is a title that requires capitals), and I had to get some paperwork to the other parents that day. The best option seemed to wake Hubby and ask him to watch a subdued and stationary Son1, and an occupied and double fist fed Son2 while I ran up to the school to drop off the paperwork, without the kids. It's a 2 minute drive, and a five minute walk, when I am unaccompanied. Apologetically I woke him, and he graciously helped me, and he apologized for the morning so far. What a man...

I headed to preschool, and handed over my papers. I relayed the morning's events to the teachers, and both seemed pretty convinced that he would be fine. Besides he would be really be so sad to miss the field day and wear his team shirt. Maybe if I could come along, I could always take him home if he got sick. I didn't have anyone to watch the baby, I countered. No problem! They suggested I just bring him in his stroller. Generally, schools do not allow babies in strollers to come on field trips. But the teachers made an exception. I was still doubtful. They handed me his team shirt, and told me it was my call. I went home to check it all out with Hubby. I arrived home, and found a cheerful Son1. Hubby shook his head. He had wanted macaroni and cheese for breakfast. He was probably fine.

More rushing. I hustled and bustled and got us all ready to go on the field trip, and waved Hubby back to bed for a little more sleep. We loaded into the car, and found his class amidst other schools. They were wearing matching green sea themed shirts. The field day had an under the sea theme. I am so glad we went. The day was so precious, with a full court gymnasium packed with activities preschool size. Additionally, there were two other buildings full of activities, as well as a ton of outdoor activities. SO COOL!

These were some of my better pictures, and a clue it was time for a new compact digital camera. A pulley was rigged up for the kids to demonstrate gross motor hand over hand strength, with an octopus in a bucket.


I wanted to jump in this one!
The kids bowled for sea creatures. You can ask your bowling alley for these bowling stations is you take your preschooler with you.

Preschool volleyball
Tattoos are a large part of Polynesian culture in Hawaii, for adults. Tattoos for keiki are super popular party favors. They are as common as candy in a kids goody bags, and are available at almost any keiki event.
This is HIS EVENT.
I had to watch him carefully and make sure he didn't get any wild ideas about spinning in any circles, again!
A happy deviation from our usual morning routines.
He even got in on a music station.
This was by far my favorite booth of all. We almost didn't even go in this room. There were over 100 stations available to the children. In one of the smaller rooms we found a sequencing station, based on the children's book, All Around the Islands. Guess who the author is? Son1's preschool teacher! She had no idea about this station. These girls read the book to the kids and then they had to sequence the pages of the story afterward.

5 comments:

  1. We still love our copy of the book. Although I hate reading all the names...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! looks like so much fun!!

    As for me, don't be fooled my friend. The camera is deceitful and desparately wicked. But I love you just for helping me get back on the wagon. BTW, what new "trendy" D are you all starting...do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss field trips!! Too bad my office doesn't take field trips! I think it would be a good morale booster.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.