Wednesday, September 5, 2007

You’d never know by looking at me that I....

I have until Sept. 12 to answer this question via email for my Baby Hui group. I always struggle with these kind of ice breakers because I want to give the "right" answer or the answer to be remembered. I know it's a personal problem. But I think that the topic for this ice breaker is a loaded one. You'd never know by looking at me that I.....

So we can start with the obvious. Remember these folks don't know me that well. By looking at me they probably would never guess I was 104 lbs and a size 4 when I got married. And I don't want to share that with them, anyway. That would only put them in a position to guess my weight and clothing size now, and that is not necessary. Not that I'm huge, I'm just not tiny. I could go the skin tone route, too. You would never guess my only sister is about as fair as Liv Tyler, and I have a different skin tone from my parents and sister. But that's boring. So is the fact that I love to wear make up, but I hardly wear it here near the Equator because I am sweating it off my face every day.

There is the cultural answer. You would never guess that I love the opera (TRUE) and big band music. But that's not anything special.

Then we can go to the political. You would never guess by looking at me that I took part in demonstrations (unless you knew me then) when I was "left of left" in college. Of course, that is before I met Hubby who is pretty conservative, and reminded me I am, too. Well, except for education issues.

There are things I can go on about, but I don't want to sound like I am bragging....like all of the accomplishments I had when I was under 10 years of age. Ridiculous, don't even think about it, Mom. I know you are proud...but no need to remind me of how great I was. That is between the family. And besides, no one cares about the Spelling Bee or how many Girl Scout cookies I sold, ok?

The only outrageous thing I can think of is that I am #45 of 46 grandchildren of the first generation on my dad's side of the family. He is kid #13.

So here is what I have come up with:
  • You would never know by looking at me that I have a set of Frank Sinatra's dishes that were used for his 80th birthday party, held in Las Vegas, in storage in VA (true).
  • I want to buy and wear 2 kinds of muu muus before leaving this island. I want to wear the mermaid kind that you have to be very thin to wear with the double ruffles at the top and fishtail at the bottom, and the old fashioned Victorian kind, with the long poofy sleeves and go to tea somewhere worthy of my dress.
  • I prefer short hair even though my hair is nearly to my hips.
  • I sing softly in church so that no one besides God can hear.
  • I have one cavity in my mouth and I feel like I have failed my teeth.

But I am totally open to something different, and more impressive. So for those of you that think you can top something on my list, please share!

5 comments:

  1. Well, the Frank Sinatra dish thing is pretty cool, I grant you. I didn't even know that! But I think you should say that you would never know by looking at you that... you are a killer competitor, you hate to lose, but you can never seem to remember what trump is. :-) And yet you still win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would never know by looking at you that you use to dress up as a little elmer fud in a crusader costume with burt and ernie shoe lace eaters and use to take a micky mouse head with you to school for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Qualify that....the elmer fud looking crusader was our high school mascot...the Baron...ha ha you made me laugh...yes I did wear Bert and Ernie shoe lace eaters in high school on my blue converse low tops, and I forgot I used to take my lunch in that Mickey Mouse head shaped lunch box! And to think I was cool.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got to be kidding; you could write volumes. Smart cookie, big trouble. Adventures of the Baron, only you know or the "i" in Pride--that even surprised you.

    Remember the secretary who couldn't stop laughing as she informed VP "who" had come to sub for special ed class no one else wanted. Mrs. Farmer. More laughter. At 5ft they wonder how you would control kids who were taller, wider and stronger than you. You showed them your short woman muscle stance. Peaceful classroom, kids following instructions. Amazed VP

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! This post is great and very informative! I am with you on the "what should I say that won't sound 'x'" So hard!!! But, anyone who really knows you, knows your talent and can agree that any of your accomplishments were not done with out a lot of work and a lot of LATE nights! =) love, rach

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.