Friday, April 4, 2008

Get me out of the Mully Grubs!

It had been one of those weeks. I hadn't ben wearing my happy face. Friday Hubby called from work and invited Son2 and me to lunch. I picked up Son2 after his morning nap and headed to Hubby's work. We had about forty minutes before I needed to meet Son1 after preschool. I called Hubby after passing the gate guard and he met me outside his building. He was armed with a lunch plan: Moe's Southwest Grill. I had never been to a Moe's before. They don't exist in CA, I was oblivious to them in VA, and it is new in Hawaii.


We arrived and the line was one long snake. Obviously this was a get-it-to-go day. I quickly scanned the menu and made a fast decision. I wanted a kalua pork burrito with pinto beans. Now, if you don't live in Hawaii your local Moe's most probably won't have kalua pork. Kalua pork is generally pork shoulder butt, rubbed with salt, wrapped in ti plant leaves, and slow smoked. Very common ono in Hawaii. Mmmm.

Son2 and I retreated to the car, both hungry. Hubby jumped in the car just some minutes later with two separate bags. Son2 started to wail. Hubby apologized this didn't work out, thinking this was all his fault. No! It was just one more Mully Grub day. On the way back to his office, we handed Son2 little pieces of corn tortilla chips that momentarily kept peace in our vehicle. I dropped Hubby off, headed back to the main road, dug in the sack, and tore open the foil on my burrito. The gerth on this thing must have al least been four inches. Oh yeah, baby! And just look at the tortilla...it was the good kind...the kind I am sure are made with lard. Mmm. Smelled delicious. I chomped open the burrito and a wave of comfort hit me, pinto beans. Ask any Mexican and they will tell you pinto beans is a comfort food. Oohhh there was something else that just qualified the burrito as comfort food...cilantro, and lots of it. I realized it was an add on I hadn't requested. Hubby hates cilantro, but he must have asked that my burrito be doused with it! Now that was absolute romance on an absolutely Mully Grub day. He had sprung me from the Mully Grubs!

9 comments:

  1. Yummy...Yumm....Yumm! When you come to CA in June I have a burrito for you! Remind me so I don't forget!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the parents at Zach's school is the owner of our local Moe's. I've been meaning to check it out for months now - I guess I best get over there ASAP! Sounds Yummy and very similar to Chipotle Mexican Grill btw - especially in terms of how big the burritos are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a Moe's here in SAV. But I have never ever went there. It always is the hot spot for lunch and the line is so long that I never have attempted to step foot in there. My hubs has been a couple of times with the guys from work though. I don't remember back at home or unless it is new since I have not been to Good OLD VA in 2 years now. I will have to try Moe's some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O and Kuddos for your Hubs being able to spring you from your Mully Grubs day. How is the Competitve Spirit doing???

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's some love talk right there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tam,

    For YOU I will post something about my Competitive Spirit in the next day or so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes...Yes...that's the place...Chipotle Mexican Grill. We have one by my house and I think it is mouth watering:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Moe's is great and for those who are thinking about Chipotle - Moe's burritos aren't quite as large (but you do get chips). However, I do think that Moe's has an edge on Chipotle because they are better at keeping the proportions of meat/cheese/veggies/etc just right. I always feel like Chipotle doesn't quite have that down to a science like Moe's does. Must be in the training. Also, I really wish local Moe's had Kalua pork. Definitely sounds ono!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We go to Moe's quite often (coupons!). There is a relatively new one along Rte 1 just south of our place. I personally like the quesadillas more than the burritos. We also have a Chipotle that is even closer! In fact we are going to Chipotle tonight. -tim

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.