Sunday, April 27, 2008

Vog on Oahu

Until we lived in Hawaii I had never heard of vog. For awhile I thought people were mispronouncing the word fog. Oh nooo, it is a very real and very hazardous condition. Vog is blended from the words "volcanic" and "smog". Sadly, the Farmers are all getting sick from vog.
Vog is created when sulfur dioxide mixes with other pollutants from an erupting volcano, in the presence of oxygen and moisture in the sunlgiht. Right now, Kilauea volcano has been erupting, and emits about two thousand tons of vog daily. Kilauea is located on the Big Island, some 240 miles away. Just today, the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park did not open until 1pm because of the dangerous vog. Sometimes vog affects our island because southern Kona winds blow and carry vog to our island. When we look outside we can see a thick brown haze in the distance. The other day I walked Son1 to school. I felt I swallowed a dust cloud! Son2 has had recurrent sinus infections since late November . My pediatrician says these are the worst cases of childhood respiratory concerns she has seen in twenty years. Faithfully, I have chased my children around with prescription medication that will reduce breathing accutenes associated with vog. My eyes are watery tonight and Hubby is using an inhaler as a precautionary measure. Son1 is in a fit of coughs and sadly, Son2 is congested again. We are praying for rain!!!!

The weather folks recommend we stay inside and drink plenty of fluids. Until then Hubby and I are dispensing medicine and praying for more rain.

6 comments:

  1. Wow,sorry to hear about all of the problems with the vog. My daughter visited the big island mid March just before the eruptions started. (Well, I guess they did get to see some lava flow). But they were warned off by the gases even then. I guess you just can't fool with Mother Nature. By the way, I love your blog and especially your LOST adventures. Maybe you will get another call someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could I would send some of our East Coast rain your way to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you all are feeling better soon! And I hope lots of Rain comes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's crazy. We'll be praying for rain for you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this excellent description of the vog and its effects on your family. I quoted from your post and linked to it in an article I wrote on my own blog, here.

    Hope you're getting a little respite from the vog by now. Look after yourselves and each other.

    Aloha from the Big Island,

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. The volcano is now spewing out over 7,000 tonnes (as in English tonne) a day in SO2. This is highest level ever recorded! We really need more than rain to alleviate this kind of air pollution. Strong north winds and a lot of prayer! It is toxic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.