Thursday, January 10, 2008

Big Island Steakhouse is a BIG MISTAKE!

Big Island Steakhouse
69-250 Waikoloa Beach Drive
Big Island of Hawaii

"The prices certainly aren't justified given the setting. Cheap furnishings, unkempt surroundings, the place seems in desperate need of an upgrade. The service is adequate and the food passable, but you're paying to get your socks knocked off and yet, they'll stay firmly attached to your feet." -Hawaii The Big Island Revealed, 4th Edition.

I should have opened the guide book before we decided on this place for lunch. We decided to take a walk from the Waikoloa down to the King's Shops for lunch. My eldest is not really an asker or a beggar, so when he does ask, we have a tendency to say yes. All he wanted was some macaroni and cheese. On a recommendation from the concierge, this was the place to go in the King's Shops.

We arrived at the restaurant and saw the menu posted without prices, outside. While not so common, we have experienced this at gourmet rooms. Many times it is called a lady's menu, where prices are reserved for the gentleman's menu picking up the tab. No published prices usually means pricey, and usually the food commands the price.

We were seated for lunch. We were handed menus that did reflect higher prices. Our eyes quickly moved to the kids' menu. Regular portion prices were not as shocking as the children's portions. A child's portion of macaroni and cheese is $10, drink not included. The kid had been asking for macaroni for three days. Did I mention he generally doesn't ask for much? We raised our eyebrows, and settled on that for him. There was a homemade Angus burger for $10, or a Hooked Up Burger dressed in cheese and mushrooms for $12. We asked the waitress when she came to take our order about this Hooked Up Burger, described as homemade. Was it handmade? She didn't know. She went up to the kitchen and asked. No, they are pattied and pre-sliced. I was hungry. I ordered it anyway, and my other half ordered the Philly Cheese steak, and the price of the Philly escapes me now. The server brought our drinks and disappeared for at least fifteen minutes. Confession...we do our fair share of eating out. It hardly happens that good servers these days fail to bring out a child's meal first to keep peace in their establishment. Nearly 20 minutes later the server appears, and announces that they have run out of macaroni and cheese. I looked at my husband, and he mirrored my eyes in disbelief.
It took her twenty minutes after putting in an order of macaroni and cheese to let us know they ran out? I will spare you the whining that ensued. We scanned the menu again. My little guy finally settled on a cheeseburger. Just as the waitress was writing this down for $10, plus the added cost for cheese, my husband, with some irritation, suggests that she bring us the adult steak burger for the same price. The two plates for the adults came out a minute later. We gave the little guy some off our plates while we waited for his plate that came out well after we finished the first two plates. The waitress failed to check on a few occasions about our drink refills. We leaned out of our seats to remind her, and were met with her total embarrassment each time. Finally, the third plate arrived several minutes later, and we picked at the plate since it was on our tab, anyway.

I hope this post finds many people via Google before setting foot in this establishment. You are in luck, though. An Islands Restaurant is coming to the Queen's Shops across the way relatively soon. Eat there. Their food is de-lish, reasonable, and caters to a cross demographic with an extensive menu.

2 comments:

  1. I have a big issue with Mac and Cheese! Everyone knows that it costs less than a dollar to make, yet you will never find it at a resturant for less than $4.50. I can never understand why they can sell Mac and Cheese for the same price they sell a hamburger or chicken strips. In this instance I hate the whole principle of supply and demand. Its like they know that my little guy loves it so they are going to stick it to me on the price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eating at Islands. That will be a good addition to the eating out choices. I always get the Makaha (medium, on wheat), which is on their secret menu...yet even the new servers know what it is. Not very secret, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.