Thursday, January 24, 2008

Yesterday's Giggles

Hubby and I shared our days with each other last night. Some of the stories made us giggle:

1. I turned on the radio on the way to preschool. The Dave and Dawn show was on the FISH. Every Wednesday morning they have a What's Four Dinner? segment. They share a dinner recipe consisting of four ingredients. This week's recipe was a shrimp tomato rice salad. Obviously, those made up the three ingredients, followed by Italian salad dressing. Oh it was so funny, but you may not get how funny it was if you don't live here! They were stunned that mainlanders would call tossed rice, salad, and shrimp a salad. No lettuce??!?! No, we call that shrimp chop suey here! I died laughing in the car.

2. My funny look tipped off the preschool teachers when we walked in the door. "We can't really read that look," they said. "What is it?" I explained how every morning I throw Son1 in a jacket for him to wear from the car to the door of the classroom in 70 degree weather. Now, he doesn't need a jacket. It's warm. It's not like it's 69 degrees. But every other kid is donning a jacket. I suppose it is winter. Son1 dislikes jackets. He's a smart kid. IT'S WARM. I insist he wears one from the car to the classroom because everyone else is wearing one. Yeah, some life lesson I am teaching him. Do as everyone else does, just so I can look like a good mom.

3. Hubby's work is having a Biggest Loser contest. They left a hospital scale in the main hallway for people to self weigh, and then to record their weights. This contest fits in with his New Year's Resolution. He is entering! He steps on the scale. Oh....wait a minute. It read he weighed 20 lbs more than expected. He tried again. Now wait a minute. This scale must be off. So he stepped off, moved the scale weights down to zero. Hmm. The balance marker read zero. A marine sensed his confusion, and offered to try. He usually weighs 181, but suggested he might weigh 185 in uniform. So he stepped on the scale. He weighed 189. He told Hubby it must be 4 lbs off. But Hubby didn't buy that! How could it only be 4 lbs off for the marine and how could he weigh 20lbs over his own weight? Finally, a colleague admitted to Hubby that he stood behind Hubby with his foot on the scale, accounting for the extra 20lbs. The joke was on Hubby. They all had a good laugh. Later, he saw a colleague self-weighing. The person slid the weights into position, volunteering they must weigh about 175. Oh no! The scale read 195. Oh this person became so flustered! The person was about to try again, but Hubby confessed himself. This person was so relieved! He had this person going they really weighed 20lbs more than expected!

3 comments:

  1. OK all too funny! Yeah one little guy of mine hates coats and sweaters and I keep trying to make sure he has a sweater on. It is winter but then it was only 70 degrees here lol lol lol I am so much like that too. I was not even wearing a sweater myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself "bundling" the girls sometimes here, just so I don't look like an irresponsible mom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's brave to have a scale in the middle of the hallway for everyone to see! ...Anyhow, let me tell you the big secret of my 25 pound weight loss...six inch subway ham and cheese sandwich on honey-oat bread, no mustard, no mayo, only oil and vinegar with salt and pepper, and all the veggies with a diet coke and Maui onion kettle chips.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.