Thursday, January 10, 2008

Costco Cookies

The day after we arrived home from the Big Island, the boys and I made a run to Costco for some groceries and some samples. While on the Big Island, Son2 broke out in a rash thanks to cinnamon in a Gerber jar. It is a fairly uncommon allergen, but he displayed all of the signs of a skin reaction. (A skin reaction may not necessarily indicate an allergy later in life, however, we are taking food precautions with cinnamon now.) So I explain to Son1 who is seated in the grocery cart next to his brother that he can have samples because he is a big boy, but his little brother is a baby, and can't eat all that he eats, and not to share.

I am paying at the register when I hear protests from the shopping cart that I momentarily took my eyes off of to swipe my mugshot on the back of my plastic, and dear friend, American Express. My attention is split between my register total and the boys. Before I fully comprehend what Son1 is saying, I eye Son2, face covered in chocolate, and crumbs stuck to his plump little cheeks. None of this is on my approved list of foods for him. Immediately I knew what happened. Those tiny little fingers yanked that cookie from Son1's hands and Son2 devoured it. I know because I witnessed him grab my chicken wrap a few days ago and do the same. He is just over nine months old, and his teeth have just come in to the point where I trust them to chew. Table foods are new to him in the last two weeks. And after nine months of observing, he completely feels entitled. Breathe grandmothers, there is no cookie reaction to report.

2 comments:

  1. I am a food allergy expert these days. Good post. We had a reaction to the Gerber ceral with Cinnamon when my little guy started solids. When I started him on solids I already knew he allergic to Casein, whey, all cow's milk products. We discovered that when he was 6 months old. He is now 2 and every 6 month they draw blood to see what else. He was unable to eat those Gerber meat sticks....so be careful with those also. We now have a list of can not eat food which include Strawberries, Pineapple, ALL FISH/shellfis, Cows Milk, ALL NUTS...every 6 month something else comes up. If it is a minor skin reaction I can give him Benadryl but we have epi pens we carry every where as we have had 2 cases where his eyes, lips and half of his face swelled.

    GREAT POST...I felt compelled to once again comment way to long on this one. Have a grea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah....we don't take the allergy thing too lightly here, either. Are no nos include much of what you already have written. My eldest couldn't have citrus until he was nearly two!! I saw a lot of nut allergy and milk allergy kids in my teacher days. Food allergies can be a rough road.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.