Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It's Not Super Tuesday in Hawaii

I called Sis at 5:45am here, 7:45am her time. No answer. I hung up. She called back happy, happy, happy it is Super Tuesday. She asked me whom I was voting for and why. "If I were voting, I would vote for...". (Oh, and by the way, I have changed my mind, since.) She figured that was my vote, and she started to share whom she was voting for and why, until it hit her what I said.

"What?!? What do you mean you're not voting today?" She almost came unglued. She was shocked. Mind you, we are not voting at all for the same person, but it was her civic duty to be bothered. Now, my sister and I think super differently all of the time about all things not political. It never bothers me to tell her my thinking. Except today. "Ok...well, I am not voting because..."
"You're not registered?!?" she finished, incredulously. "No, I'm registered. I don't know where I am supposed to vote." Okay, I said it sheepishly because I knew what was coming next. Another wave of her shock.

I know, I know, I know. Don't jump down my throat. I know it is a lame excuse. I don't have my voter registration card handy. But don't worry, my sister was just not going to settle for that. Oh noooo. She started fishing around her car on the 101 highway while driving, found her voter registration guide, and tells me what office is listed for California, and that I need to call the same office in Hawaii to find out where to vote. Of the many things she said to me, this was my favorite: "Oh come on. This is America! Do you think they are not going to let a registered voter not vote?!?" And this is the thing about attorneys. Somehow they know a lot about loopholes. Her suggestion was to show up at any polling center, and if it wasn't my center they would call to find out where I should vote. Now, I listened to her, but it was early folks. I knew Hawaii wasn't one of the 24 states participating in the Super Tuesday primaries. Why it slipped my mind, I have no idea. But I have to give her a big hand anyway, because oh...she just gave me some of her sweet billable time to research and send me a nice little email with numbers for the Office of Elections and City and County of Honolulu. Oh, and of course a little note that Hawaii wasn't a Super Tuesday state. Gee, thanks. Really, I am much more politically savvy than she thought. The Hawaii primary election is not until February 19. And that's why I hadn't gotten too serious about looking for the voter registration card. Did I mention it was 5:45am when she called? Or that I had gone to bed around 2am because I was motivated to get some stuff accomplished the night before? Or that I was a little taken by her Super Tuesday enthusiasm? So now, there you go Sis. Rest assured I am voting on the 19th, just as soon as I find out where my polling place is located.

5 comments:

  1. Let's GET POLITICAL, Political na na na....just imagine the Olivia Newton John tune playing in your head while she advised YOU. lol lol That is what popped in my mind as I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...um, this is The Farmer Files, not The Political Files.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still hearing that music in my head...that 80s song from Olivia Newton John with the words altered...Let's get political! lol lol My weird Virginia sense of humor lol lol Can you imagine what it is like to be in DC right now....OOO how I miss it! The Elections and Federal Employees and the chats on the Train about Politics...OOOO I miss it! I was listening to some MOMs talk a little about the elections and I was shocked that lots have not even followed any of the debates and do not even know what is really going on. It has to be that DC in me! One Mom said she was not even sure who she was going to vote for and she just closed her eyes and pointed her finger and when she opened that is who she voted for. OK can you just imagine the LOOK on my DC FACE!!!! LOL I am still smiling while I write this!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be having to deal with “Super Tuesday” in Virginia next week, fortunately I know where I'm supposed to vote at ;). Which reminds me, you have five days to figure out where you are supposed to vote at Missy so hop to it -or your sister won't be the only one nagging you about such things ;).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I want to find out for whom you will vote. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.