Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ono in Hawaii

Ono is our way of saying something is delicious here. If it is onolicious, it means it is super delicious, in a local kind of way. Here is a little bit of this week's ono at our house.

My neighbor is on the state's professional competitive skin diving team. He shares fish with us every now and then. This time he brought us what is known in Hawaii as Ulua. Since the fish was under twelve pounds it is called Papio even though it is the same fish. If it is over that then it is called Ulua. The Ulua fish is the most sought after shore catch.The fish has white fillets. Hubby breaded it here for us and it was definitely onolicious!
Hubby brought home a special treat for Son1. An island favorite with the kids is Choco Boy. It is actually a Korean snack in the shape of a mushroom, like Choco Boy. The stem is made of a shortbread cookie and the mushroom cap is made of chocolate.


6 comments:

  1. I'll have some onolicious Choco Boy please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO choco boy is good! My oldest loves those plus those other little snacks called Pocky Sticks from Japan. They are thin short bread with their ends dipped in Chocolate. Sadly for my youngest little guy he can not have any because of milk allergy. ;(

    The fish looked heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw Ono I thought the Olympic ice skater was in Hawaii, Apollo Anton Ono who won dancing with the Stars.

    I like the little mushroom. They remind me of the Smurfs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so much better connected to "real" Hawaii than we are... We need lessons from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummmm are those Choco boys legal? Maybe it was the camera angle, but I was afraid!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.