Thursday, February 28, 2008

Replacements

A few years ago I sat at a scrap booking crop, looking down at my picture. Someone mentioned I could crop more of my picture. I told her that would defeat the purpose. I liked having my car in the background. I notice trends when I look at old photos, and I want my kids to see pictures of cars and anything else that was a trend of the time. I thought about that conversation when I looked at my new Costco purchases.

I heavily rely on my toaster oven. I use it most so I don't have to turn on my large oven and raise the temperature in my house on hot days in Hawaii. My Black and Decker toaster oven had been on it's last leg for awhile. It was a wedding present, so it was almost ten years old this summer. Some days it would toast, and some days I would coax it to work, firmly holding the door closed so it would start. All that ended the other day when I smelled something burning. Ding! I pulled out Son1's cheese toast, and glared at a flame coming from the heating rod. I blew out the flame, unplugged the toaster, and threw it in the trash. I called Hubby and told him we were going shopping for a new toaster oven. That was just the beginning.

Once we got to Costco, Hubby figured it was time to replace our smaller digital camera. After all, we purchased it new 3.5 years ago. Since then, it has withstood a lot of crash landings. Unfortunately, our camera became a senior citizen despite it's titanium body. The camera aged. We took several shots just to get a few clear pictures. What once was a clear shot now had unpredictable clarity. Plus, I dropped it when Hubby tossed it to me from the second story in December. Then there were the phones. There was a Costco coupon for cordless phones, so a set of new cordless phones was a planned purchase. I ruined one of our handsets when I spilled a glass of water, and the phone was in it's angry path. The ruined phone has a screen that no longer works, and hardly holds a battery charge for five minutes. But in case of an emergency it works! The coupon for phones meant it was definitely time to trade in our old phones. Our last large purchase of the day was a package of high thread count sheets. We previously bought a set and found they are the only set we like.

So what does this have to do with the scrap booking conversation? It struck me how all of these things have changed in a protracted amount of time. When we were first married Hubby and I used the toaster oven all of the time to bake smaller amounts of food. Now, ten years later, the toaster oven is the same price, but I get so much more for my money! It is stainless steel, toasts six slices instead of two, has a convection oven, defrosts food, and dehydrates, too. But my favorite feature is the pull out tray for crumbs. The new camera comes with some more mega pixels, and more internal memory. The cordless set we bought is about the same price as when we bought the last cordless set some years back. Then, we thought it was a deal that the set came with two bases, handsets, and an answering machine. The new set comes with five handsets. That is a bit much for us here, since I keep phones to a minimum with napping children. But they may come in handy if we ever move back to our Virginia house. Finally, when we bought high thread count sheets at Costco we thought we were in heaven with 400 thread count sheets. Now the sheets we bought are 540 thread count, for the same price.

So the trend seems that the cost of these items hasn't gone up in the last years, but the quality and quantity has improved for the money.

7 comments:

  1. ooo, are you gonna dehydrate stuff? we have a dehydrator. I use it for proofing dough, but I want to try it with some fruits this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, the toaster really wasn't broken, I had melted some cheese on some bread and it over flowed the bread and splashed on the heating element on the bottom of the toaster oven...and I didn't clean it up because I figured it was fine. When I got home and saw the toaster in the trash, I just said "oh well." Hubby

    ReplyDelete
  3. The items you bought are cheaper or you are getting more quality for the same price because these items are not considered necessities. They are considered luxury or extras that you can do without. Therefore, since the price of gas and food (i.e. necessities) have gone up, the price of luxury goods must go down since people only have a finite source of money to spend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See I am so glad only ONE of us stuck it out with the Biz Econ degree. Two would have been superfluous.

    AND HUBBY...I was shocked to hear this! I have never seen you leave a food mess! And I know how you feel about cheese messes in particular!

    ReplyDelete
  5. o what a fun shopping day for all those goodies!

    OK the scrapbooking.. I do not like cutting lots of stuff out of my pictures. I want the boy to see them and say hey look at that furniture or whatever is in the background. When my little guy was in NICU...I want the pictures of all the stuff in the background and when he becomes a doctor one day and can say...LOOK at all that equipment It saved my life. YOU ARE SO RIGHT...when you scrap leave some of that stuff in those pictures...it is important not to cut it all out! You should have taken a picture of your old toaster oven just for all the memories. OK my warped Virginia sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about taking the picture after the toaster was in the trash. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey that toaster oven had 10 years of Memories! I bet the first Ever Cheese Toast made for Son1 was in that Toaster Oven not to mention the first ever foods of being Newly Married..lol. I took picutes of all the toys my boys got for Christmas this year and have put them on scrapbooking pages because you know they will never remember what they got for Christmas 2007! I was at a Scrap and one Mom asked what was with all the pictures of just toys...heheh I said just so they will see what they got one day. I started doing this when my first was born. I got the idea from a Christmas picture my Aunt gave me after my grandmother died of some of the presents they had under the tree when I was little. I loved just looking at the background stuff! Right then and there I decided to be very careful on what to crop!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.