Sunday, February 24, 2008

JOB (un)WANTED

I thought I knew what I wanted. A job opened up with a great non-profit I adore. The hours were part time, I could work from home, and my kids were welcome if they had to come with me for any work outside of our home. I updated my resume, prepared with a list of talking points for my interview, and interviewed boldly. What do you know, I was offered the job this week! The dynamics were a little different than when it was advertised, though. They weren't bad, just different. I told them I needed overnight to think about it.

I mulled it over that night. I was still considering all the next day. Night time came, and I was still undecided. I sat Hubby down and he reviewed the pros and cons with me. Still, I had no decision. Hubby offered one last piece of advice. If accepting the offer took me this long, I probably already had my answer. A little relief came over me. He was right. I voiced all of the reasons I shouldn't take the job. The reasons sounded solid. At last Hubby volunteered a few of his private thoughts. He told me how valuable I am to our home. Any time I spent away right now was time taken from our children and our household. The monetary compensation wasn't really comparable to the value of my physical presence in our home, particularly with Hubby's hours and travel. I came to a final conclusion. Since the monetary compensation wasn't a huge benefit, the only other benefit was the personal recognition. I smiled as I picked up the phone to share my final decision with the non-profit. My husband just gave me plenty of personal recognition. The recognition from my kids comes in sweet phrases and giggles. I work plenty now. This non-profit job sounded perfect. Hmmm, but not better than my current job, even with all of the overtime, stressful days, and toilet dramas.

5 comments:

  1. I keep thinking I need or want to go back to work just parttime. Good post I needed another Stay at home MOMS perspective on things. I have been working on my resume and keep deciding not to send it out. HMMM you give me lots to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, what a mature decision. I am confident too that your little men and big one adore having you home and what a blessing! I'm sure God will bless you for that decision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to your hubby for sharing his insights with you and affirming you (as he well should) at the great job you are doing right now with the munchkins. I can't tell you how many moms go back to work (though they would most likely never admit it) simply because they don't get that kind of affirmation at home and are craving it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous time of decision-making. Proud of you either way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would probably make more sense to take a part time job when your last child is in kindergarden. Then you'll have spare hours during the day to devote to something else. Right now I think you would be spreading yourself to thin, and if you don't need the money for anything important then the job just seems like one more unnecessary thing on your list of things to do. Why burden yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.