Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Stopping Traffic

I am loving having a three year old. We are into a serious phase of pretend. It gets to be really fun when he plays more than one role at a time. Sometimes he is the conductor, the ticket taker, and the boy riding the train all in the same scene. Other times he is both the teacher and the student. Most often he is the fire fighter. The other night at Cubbies, though, he was Uncle Steve directing traffic. (Uncle and Aunty are terms of respect here like Sir and Ma'am in the South.) Usually Uncle Steve directs traffic using his flash light in the tight parking lot. But this night Son1 was directing traffic with a Valentine's pencil based on the Cars movie. All the while I heard his little mantra: I-AM-SPEED. I was chatting away with his Cubbies leader, when out of the corner of my eye I saw cars stopping, and heads hanging out car windows. I turned to find my son directing traffic, and folks stopping to chat it up with him. So many folks paid him attention! Someone asked his permission to proceed up the drive. Another person asked him for directions. One more person asked if it was safe to go this way. Lots of people laughed. And then there was me. I laughed differently, with a sense of pride.

3 comments:

  1. More than anything, I would have been afraid that he would have gotten hit by a car, but of coarse Mom says I'm too overly protective. This comment came after David at 2 1/2 jumps off the plat form of the jungle gym on his tippy toes leaning forward and reaches for the monkey bars more than 5 1/2 feet off the ground. I reached out to grab him thinking he would fall to the ground and break his arm or something. He got mad told me, "no mommy...you go away" and then he showed me that he could go from one bar to the next and had no problem letting go and landing on his feet, jumping almost four feet from the ground! He laughed and laughed as to say see Mommy you don't know what I can do. This is very humbling for me as I don't think I even have the upper body strength to go from one monkey bar to the next. I just didn't think at 2 they would grow up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought about that when I posted this...someone, no doubt related to me, was going to ask, how can she let her kid almost get hit by a car??? But nooo....he was standing up on the sidewalk. In the picture he is on the basketball black top. The teen driver is sitting in the car waiting for his mom to stop talking to me...his mom is the Cubbies leader.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.