Monday, February 4, 2008

Starting With A Shiny Sink

My home should be better organized. I always say if there was one more skill God could have given me, it would have been organization. Now I can't blame my organization deficit on my environment. My sister is an absolutely organized, color coded, filed away kind of person. We are only 11 months apart and were raised under the same roof. Environment is definitely not to blame. Who really cares, anyway. I want to be better. That's what counts.

I tried to reread an organization book, about 4 inches thick. I just wasn't all that motivated, and found myself arguing internally with the author's points. She just didn't know me. Then I decided to give Fly Lady a try. Now, she gets me. In her WhyFly? testimony, she shares how she became this incredibly organized person over a 12 month period, in 1999. In other words, she wasn't born with the innate desire to organize, but learned the skills. Whew, I thought. There is hope for me!

The first step to learn to fly is shining the sink. She claims shining the sink gives a sense of accomplishment, and is her way of hugging me every morning. Judge for yourself. Here is a Before and After shot of one of my sink basins.


Through her Yahoo Group FlyLady sent me 31 days of Flying lessons. I printed and stapled the 12 page list (looks relatively simple) and have it propped up against my shiny sink. Tomorrow I am working on Day 3. Plus, I am working on the February strategy of decluttering every day for 15 minutes. Today I purged a ton of magazines, plus other clutter.

I am motivated. I ditched watching a movie with Hubby because I just had to shine my sink, make his lunch, and start on some light sweeping. Now, truth be told I was quite emotionless over the sink the first night. Now I am hooked and desire more organiztion! I think it's that sink! FlyLady hardly expected anything from me the first three days. I am doing more than she asked. WHY? I am certain it is the shininess of my sink! After I get through my 31 days of assignments I will let you know how it's going. Now, it may take more than 31 days to get my FLYing assignments done, so bear with me!

7 comments:

  1. love it! I must check out her site...I've fallen behind on organization too. Guess I've been busy... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile :-) Nothing makes me happier than organizing my life haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very proud of you!! I was reading this thing about habits. According to the article, it takes approximately 3 to 4 weeks to establish or break a habit (they did this study about neurological pathways and how long it takes to engrain a particular behavior into your brain)..so, if you can keep this up for 3 to 4 weeks you will make it an everyday part of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true, a shiny sink does inspire one to clean and organize more things - especially within the kitchen area. I mean if the sink is clean then why not clean off the countertops and make them beautiful too? Once that's clean, the floor that didn't previously seem dirty kinda begs to at least be swept and after that it's kind of like the domino effect - before you know your whole kitchen will be shiny and have that happy just been cleaned smell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What if you have a Corian sink? I can't shine it? HMM I am sort of in some sort of quandry since I moved to my new house in May. It is so unorganized and I do not know where to put things. OK I still have not added pictures to walls or even Curtains. I loved your post and the shiny Sink but again I have to ask what if you do not have that type???lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tam...here is your answer:
    http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/products/corian/corian_care.html
    You totally would love flylady. she tells you exactly what to do. you ARE going to get a ton of email from her. She sends you about 10 a day. But it is easy to do what she tells you to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey...i sent you the link in an email...too long to post in comments section. sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.