Monday, February 4, 2008

Two Crayons For the Price of One

Son1 is working on proper pencil grip in preschool. His teachers told him to first pinch his nose, and then pinch the writing implement, just like his nose. He has no problem pinching his nose. Transferring that little pinch to a crayon is a totally different story. The teacher gave me another great tip. She told me that when students use a crayon snapped in half they most likely will hold the crayon correctly. Huh...I suddenly felt a small sense of control come over me.

That night we sat down to do some of Son1's schoolwork. Then I remembered the crayon tip. I snapped the crayon in half. Son1 glared at me. "You broke my crayon, you broke my crayon!" I handed over a box and offered to let him help me snap the crayons in two.
After awhile Son1 really warmed up to crayon festivities, and snapped all of the crayons until he finished. And like magic, his finger grip on the crayon has gotten so much better!

6 comments:

  1. I've read that if you give them a kleenex and tell them to grip it with their last two fingers in their hand, they will hold the pencil correctly while holding the kleenex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Crayons!! the Crayons!! As a young artist and child who was horrified by broken crayons, I'm having trouble with this teaching method. It goes against everything I was ever taught about respecting your drawing instruments and art equipment. I just can't bear to watch the snap of a poor little innocent crayon! Maybe if I practice like Son 1 the initial shock will wear off and I too will revel in the colorful little bits of wax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, bye the way, that was me above, I just forgot to sign my name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little guy is left handed and we are just having trouble period. He gets frustrated easily when I try to show him how to color or hold a pencil. I am glad that worked for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tam,
    Son1 is left handed, too. Try having your little guy break a couple of crayons. It might work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey we have leftys! My other guy is a righty! The other funny thing about our boys is that they both picked up each of our blood types. They are AB. The ped. thinks it is funny because he says kids usually have one of the parents bood types but not to often both. He was thinking that our second would have either a or b but again he picked up ab. They are universal recievers. Ok this is long and not related to the crayons but I just felt like sharing! lol one of those moments I guess. Plus I am sort of banded to say much about my boys on my blog because of the HUB. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.