Saturday, February 2, 2008

Watermelons On My Doorstep

If you read Rachel over at HisTreasuredPossession you know she kept us in suspense all week with her mysterious excitement. After a couple of days she asked for prayer that the LOST box (clue to the Farmers) be found. The first call came on Wednesday. I didn't check my caller ID, but this voice on the other end couldn't have really been someone that just delivered a baby, though it sounded an awful lot liker her. By the way, there was no hello, how are you, nothing like that. You know, people that have three kids in three years, they just get down to business on the phone. Her first words to me were, "Did you get a box?" I told her I hadn't. "Did your mail come today?" I told her it had. "And you didn't get a box??" I told her no, but sometimes our packages do come later in the day. "Well, can you just go check? I mailed it Monday!" I asked her if she wanted me to do that NOW? She had no clue I had one little boy indispose. "YES!!" I put the phone down for my unidentified caller, (couldn't be Rachel, she just had a baby, and people who just have babies wouldn't take 3 kids to the post office), I ran down the stairs, out the door, checked the front lanai (Hawaiian word for covered porch) and even checked a second time in the mailbox. No box. I ran back up the driveway and back to the phone. I told her "no box." Sure enough, it was a very bummed Rachel on the other line. She said something about mailing other boxes on the same day, and my mind started to race. "You mailed more than one box?" She confirmed this. Ah hah! "Does this have to do with your blog post today?" She confirmed that, too. "Ohh!" I took a deep breath. A game. This was a game!!! And you know how my Competitive Spirit loves games! I started blabbering on about the possibility of a game, and my eagerness, and ooohhh I just couldn't wait! And she started to say something, and I said, "Ooohh don't tell me!" because I had this all figured out, and you know how I rarely get surprised. She promised she wasn't going to tell me, anyway. We went on to have a lovely conversation that was like oh, forever, which was just scrumptious. The second call came on Thursday. No box. "Well, am I holding everyone up?" I asked, because this of course, was a game. No, but she was becoming increasingly concerned. I assured her that priority mail can take up to 4 days to Hawaii. We would try again Friday. So Thursday night, I confessed myself to Hubby, and we were both full of anticipation for this sacred box, because you know how he loves him some games, but um, we would never call him competitive. Friday, when the mail came, Hubby was on his way out the door. "IS THERE A BOX?" I called. "There's a box!! Can you open it?" And of course, I dove for it, and told him I could. He was on his way to an appointment, but I said I would call him in a few. I tried to rip open that box as quick as possible, but Rachel sure can tape.

And when I finally got it open, I gasped. I was completely overwhelmed. This was better than any game, because as good as a game is, it is only temporary.


I knew Rachel had just started quilting. This quilt was made in my very favorite colors, affectionately called my "happy colors." I wear these colors on days I am especially happy. I tore open the card. My heart totally fluttered. She had been working on this for 4 years. She had started the quilt back in her apartment when she found out I was pregnant with my eldest, thinking I might have a girl. Then they moved just down a little ways to their townhome, and she was busy with Ethan, just a few months older than mine. Now finally, after we both have moved from NoVA, she finished it 4 years later. In her card she mentioned that the quilt is not perfect. Well, neither are we. I called Hubby totally awed. "Can you believe she has been working on it for four years? It's in my favorite colors, and it is just beautiful!!" Quickly, I called Rachel next. I tried to convey how much I loved it, but I know I was at a loss for the right words to say. I mean, I wasn't at a loss for words, but get it, the right words, the words I really wanted to say, just didn't come out. Well, she was thrilled and I was thrilled, and I think that came across. She spoke all the right words, and she didn't even know it. She went on a few times about how the quilt isn't perfect, and mentioned the words four years over and over, in the midst of a lot of other stuff we said. Those were the words that kept ringing in my head. You see, we met Rachel and Abel almost seven years ago. We spent so much time together with them, up late at night playing LOTS of cards and dining on Rachel's yummys. Our friendship grew and grew. She was my first visitor in the hospital when I had Son1. And then there was this little bump in the road of our friendship. It has totally been smoothed over, by God's grace. But even through my excitement, a little part of me remembered the little bump, and was moved to tears I was holding the quilt in my hands, knowing we were able to restore our friendship. I love you, Rach! I am putting the card in my hope chest. The quilt I will keep next to my bed, and cherish it always.

Pink Hatters at IBC Tea, 2004

New Year's Eve at the Farmers 2004, almost 2005

6 comments:

  1. Awesome, I'm smiling so big!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you were the one who received the quilt - it couldn't have gone to a more deserving or appreciative friend! How sweet of Rachel to take the time to finish it and not give up on it after all that time :). You know what this means don't you ... if you all have a third baby I think you are destined to finally have a girl!

    "Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival." C.S. Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the CS Lewis quote!!! Hmm...don't know about having a girl. I'll just thank God now for GIRLfriends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. R- thanks so much for such words! I ate them up (just like you do!) and am so pleased it meant so much. love you, love you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post! Brings your readers to tears!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know you did.